Eggplant is salted and fried, then drenched in lemon juice and topped with tomatoes, onions, and parsley. The flavors marinate together to create a tanginess that is so tasty. Serve it for a family dinner or snack. It’s also a perfect make-ahead side dish or appetizer that looks impressive and tastes delicious!
Ingredients to make this fried eggplant dish
This recipe has a few simple ingredients that taste so good together!
- Eggplant: is salted and fried to a dark rich color that adds so much flavor
- Tomatoes: are finely chopped and they add a tanginess that works so well with the other flavors
- Onions: finely chopped for an added layer of flavor
- Parsley: finely chopped and adds a nice fresh herb flavor
- Lemon: freshly squeezed lemon juice makes the perfect lemon marinate!
- Vegetable or Canola Oil for frying
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
How to make this fried eggplant dish
1. Peel and slice the eggplant into circles. Then place onto a baking sheet or large plate and sprinkle with salt to help draw out the excess liquid and bitterness. This part is optional, but it really makes the fried eggplant taste better.
2. Fry eggplant until they are dark in color but not burnt. This adds a deeper richer flavor! Then place fried eggplant onto a plate lined with paper towels to absorb all the excess oil.
3. Finely chop tomatoes, onions, and parsley and set to the side.
4. Arrange eggplant onto a serving platter.
5. Then add the lemon juice all over the eggplant, then add tomatoes, onions, and parsley in layers. Then sprinkle with kosher salt and black pepper.
6. Serve with pita bread. Enjoy!
More delicious recipes
- Herbed Goat Cheese Dip with Garlic Roasted Rainbow Cherry Tomatoes
- Brie Cheese with Pear, Pecan & Honey Crostini
- Three-Herb Garlic Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
- 2 large eggplants
- 4 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Peel and slice eggplant into circles. Then place onto a baking sheet or large plate. Sprinkle with salt and let sit for about 30 minutes until the excess liquid has been pulled out to the surface. Then pat each eggplant dry with a paper towel.
- Warm-up vegetable or canola oil in a large skillet and fry eggplant until dark brown but not burnt. Place onto a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Arrange eggplant onto a serving dish and then add lemon juice all over the eggplant.
- In layers, add diced tomatoes first, then add diced onions, then add chopped parsley.
- Lastly, sprinkle the top with more kosher salt and black pepper before serving.
- Serve with pita bread.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 339Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 181mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 6gSugar: 12gProtein: 2g